Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Antique Frames and Curiosities


In my last post I described a painting I did of three Victorian Staffordshire toothbrush holders, and that I put the painting into an antique frame that enhanced the artwork beautifully.  I also mentioned that although I always have professional photos taken of all of my paintings, I rarely take a picture of them after I have framed them (photos including the frames are not useable for reproduction as greeting cards or prints, and it's technically difficult if glass is used).  This is kind of a shame, as I am meticulous about finding the perfect frame for each picture, and I often use wonderful antique frames that I have been collecting for years.  So, here are a few more examples of my paintings, in both gouache and oil, all framed in antique and vintage frames.  Some have sold, some live happily in my house, and some will be for sale in the upcoming East Bay Open Studios the first two weekends of June in Oakland.  Come to Open Studios in the Jack London Market Hall and see which is which!


Tiny frame from about 1900 with my equally tiny  oil of a garden snail.

American "Adirondack" frame, from the 1890's, with my gouache painting "Ohlone Oaks".  This one is covered in glass, so there's a bit of reflection.


Oil of an old abandoned railway track in Alameda, framed in an antique gilt frame found at an antique show.

German rustic Black Forest frame, from about 1900, with my varnished gouache of "The Eiger by Moonlight".

A small oil of Mulnomah Falls in Oregon, framed in a marvelous American "Tramp Art" rustic frame from  the early 20th century.

This tiny old gilded frame from Holland is a perfect match to my little oil "The Woodcutter's Hut".

No comments:

Post a Comment